Friday, August 20, 2010

Behind the Scenes at SMA: People Profiles


Name:
Mike Henry

Position with SMA:
Board Member, SMA

Position Elsewhere and Where:
Site Administrator, Colvin Run Mill Historic Site
Adjunct Professor, NVCC
Member, AAM, AASLH, VAM, NVAH, Loyal Order of Water Buffalos, Bedrock lodge

When did you first become involved with SMA?
I first became involved with SMA when a number of colleagues suggested that I attend the annual conference at the Princess Royal Hotel in OC. It was a great conference - I was hooked - and for the next 6 or 7 years I had the opportunity to present a number of sessions at the Conference with the likes of Mr Bow Tie , John Verrill, the always enchanting Lisa Mason-Chaney, and several others. I finally joined the board several years later when the legendary Ann Korzeniewski, the big man, Mike Leister and the almost life-like Ken Hickman took turns holding a gun to my head until I agreed.

What is the best thing about SMA?
The best thing about SMA is the people. I don't think I've ever met a group of people so quick to offer help, suggestions and resources. The very best way to experience this is to get involved in SMA - join the conference committee, plan a session, help with the local arrangements. I promise you'll enjoy it and you'll be helping a a great organization.

What do you hope to see SMA do in the future?
As for the future of SMA, I think it is limitless! There are some great officers on the Board now and the energy and enthusiasm of the SMA membership is contagious. Plus just take a look at how many formally big museums are starting to qualify as small ones now!

No comments:

Post a Comment